The UT Tower will shine with burnt orange lights Thursday, September 27 in honor of the new inductees into the Academy of Distinguished Teachers.
Honoring excellence in teaching at the undergraduate level, four inductees were nominated by their respective deans, and selected through a rigorous evaluation process. The selection process is led by a committee comprised of current members of the Academy, other faculty peers, students and administrators.
Members are awarded the title Distinguished Teaching Professor and serve for the duration of their tenure at UT Austin.
The 2018 inductees are:
- Brad Love, associate professor, advertising and public relations, Moody College of Communication
- Mark Mear, professor, aerospace engineering and engineering mechanics, Cockrell School of Engineering
- H.W. Perry, associate professor, government, College of Liberal Arts; School of Law
- Keri Stephens, associate professor, communication studies, Moody College of Communication
The Academy of Distinguished Teachers is emblematic of the university’s commitment to excellence in teaching. Comprising of approximately five percent of tenured faculty, the Academy provides leadership to improve the quality and depth of the undergraduate experience.
It is an honor to recognize these four outstanding members of our faculty. Their commitment to teaching and improving the student experience in the classroom is exceptional and inspiring.” —Maurie McInnis, executive vice president and provost
Members of the Academy advise the president and provost on matters related to the university’s instructional mission, participate in seminars, colloquia, lead workshops on teaching effectiveness and serve as mentors to new faculty.
The Academy supports the teaching mission by:
- Honoring and rewarding excellence in teaching
- Enhancing teaching effectiveness, particularly at the undergraduate level
- Creating a central core of teachers who can serve as a resource and an inspiration for other teachers
- Selecting a body of faculty who can promote a sense of community among teachers, foster research on effective college teaching and learning, and advise the institution on teaching policies and practices
The inductees will be honored at the annual Academy of Distinguished Teachers dinner in October.
For more information about the award, readers can visit: provost.utexas.edu/awards/academy-distinguished-teachers.
Want to know when and why the Tower is orange? Sign up for our email alerts, and we’ll send you an update each time we light the Tower.